Why another server network?
A Meteorite believed that no well-created and managed unified BZFlag server network existed. He believed he could do it better, and others have believed in him and BZFX. Since BZFX has been founded and taken off, several pieces of software has been in development for the higher furthering of BZFlag servers.
To contact BZFX directly, you should go to the #bzfx channel on IRC Freenode.
If you have been reprimanded by a BZFX administrator, and have a problem with it, contact that administrator first. Issues can almost always be resolved, but if it can not be, BZFX's owner, A Meteorite, will be contacted. If you need to contact A Meteorite for a reason other than administration issues, see his user page.
BZFX was started in early-2006 by A Meteorite. The exact date when BZFX started hosting servers is unknown, but the BZFX domain was registered May 29, 2006 which makes it the official birthday of BZFX.
BZFX's rules are strictly enforced. They are not hard to abide by, and that's all BZFX asks of it's players.
- No cussing or swearing. This includes abbreviations. Basically if the FCC won't allow it (except for a few other words), BZFX won't allow it.
- No teamkilling. This includes capturing your own team's flag. The only exception to this is if the current game style is HTF.
- No cheating. This is defined as any source modification to your BZFlag client that gives you an advantage others do not have. Features available in BZFlag's SVN that are not in stable binary releases do not apply.
- "Wall walking" is considered cheating. Wall walking is using artificial means to go through walls or other objects not intended to go through.
- Use common sense, don't come to BZFX just to make irritate other players or ruin the general atmosphere.
All chat is logged at BZFX servers.
If you have been reprimanded for breaking a rule, and would like to contact someone about it, the server owner wishes that you contact the administrator that did the reparations directly.
- BZFX.hAdmin (Head Admin): The highest group of BZFX, but basically BZFX.Admin permissions wise. It is used for more of a politically correct standpoint. Contains server owners (not map owners), developers, and otherwise large-scale contributors.
- BZFX.Admin: The second highest group of BZFX. Contains administrators that have been on-board with BZFX for a long time and those who have shown an extraordinary commitment to BZFX.
- BZFX.Cop: The mainstream group, but certainly not the least group. Our new cops go here until they have more experience with BZFX's ways. People who are valuable, but do not admin as much, may also go here.
- BZFX.Hidden: A hidden admin group. It is used to catch people who may otherwise act differently if they see an administrator logged into the server.