BZFlag 2.3 will be a development version that will be released as 18.104.22.168. This is to get around the problem that development on BZFlag 3.0 has stalled and does not look like it will continue. This is a last ditch effort to get development moving again.
The goal is to release a new version of BZFlag that is incompatible with 2.0.x for a good reason, and has at least one new feature that will make many players want to upgrade.
The hope is that this process will renew developer motivation and attract new developers.
Note: This proposal requires changing the version docs to make the compatability be the minor version number.
General Overview and Idea of Project
- Facilitate moving global services (e.g., my.bzflag.org) to new hardware.
- Add one or two non-trivial client features so the players will be motivated to upgrade
- graphics quality?
- server list backport?
- Cloaked Shot flag (hoping for better than this)
- Only allow a single end shot credit for holding the shield flag
- Only players with POLL permission are eligible to take part in a vote
- Fix the protocol bug that version 2.0.16 was a bandaid for.
- Command changes
- Remove the /identify command.
- Backport the /serverdebug command
- BZBB rank promotions! ;-)
- Solicit specific change proposals that can be completed within one month. Each proposal must be sponsored by an individual developer who will lead its implementation.
- When proposals are in and accepted by consensus, start the 1-month countdown clock.
- Copy trunk to a V3_FAIL tag.
- Copy v2_0branch to trunk and commit a change that requires a new protocol number.
- Implement accepted proposals and test.
- After 1 month, revert any changes that have caused unfixed regressions.
- Update version docs and make trunk into 22.214.171.124 for releease.
- Tag Trunk to 2_4branch trelease.
These are the things that are in "the plan"
These items should be moved back from V3 into the new version.
- Connection Header Change
- Round Robin for services
- New GUI elements
- Server Side Scoring
- Sim loop breakup (to prevent F5)
- Server Side Flag ID and pickup
- New Shot Graphics
- Hud Markers
- Removal of low graphics, promotion of experimental to high.
- Server List from SOC
- API rework
- Remove Identify
- Windows Project Cleanup
- New Make system
- New source docs ( authors etc..)
- Server side handicap
- Gm shot checks
- Stealth fixes for rabbit
- Screenshot fixes
- Update Notification
- Wings Velocity Change
- Message Protection
- New artwork
- no Tks
- open FFA
- download URL change ( to force just images.bzflag.org, not any .org or .bz )
- remove fog options ( let server force)
- require GL 1.2
These items should be evaluated to see if they can be or should be moved back, but are not critical. These may exist as code or patches.
- Map changes.
- HTTP plugins
- New API events
- Server Side Players
- Bugfixs not in notes
- New flags
- Rabbit as team
- SVN props cleanup
- Countdown/reload timer position fix for when showCoordinates is enabled
Things NOT to backport
These items should not be moved back due to stability issues. These are generaly be the blocking items preventing V3s current release.
- Network buffering
- Lag Comp
- Acceleration Changes
- Font System
- New Translations
- Map geometry changes ( requires flag zap zone support or breaks existing servers. )