HiX is a CTF and FFA map that is included with the BZFlag installation. The map is a derivative of a map originally createdby Tim Riker. The most prominent change from the original, is that the X that divides the map into quadrants extended to the ground - prohibiting tanks from driving under them. Forcing the driver to either go over or around the X.
HiX's most prominent features are the raised "catwalks" that form a "High X." The map is made with two lines of symmetry, so it is a 4-way map. There are three main levels of play: 0 units, 15 units, and 30 units, 0 units being the ground, 15 units being the boxes on the ground and the lower catwalks, and 30 being the upper catwalks. There are 4 raised bases on each side of the map, centered on the outer wall, and vertically aligned with the upper catwalks. There is a fourth level at 45 units high, which consists of 5 boxes on the catwalks, 1 in the middle, and 4 behind each base. There are two teleporters located in each corner of the map which lead from the ground level to the upper catwalks. On each side there are two boxes turned 45 degrees in between the teleporters and the base. Under each base there are 4 pyramids, and under the lower catwalks there are 10 pyramids in each quadrant meant to resemble supports for the catwalk. Each support features 1 upright tall pyramid, 2 upright short pyramids, and 2 inverted short pyramids. There are two supports per quadrant.
The HiX map is the signature map of the Games United League. In this league the map is set up to have two teams opposite each other--red and purple. The HiX map is also used in the 1vs1 League in FFA mode.
On the HiX map in its 2 team form, flags should be placed either behind a teleporter or against the box half way between the teleporter and the base. These two spots make it easy to kill opponents trying to grab your flag. In its 4 team form, flags should be left on the base or on the box behind the base.
The map can be found in other forms besides FFA, 2 team CTF, and 4 team CTF. Some servers use the map in a Rabbit Hunt format, a Hold the Flag (HTF) format using a plug-in, and a King of the Hill format.
The Hix map contains many secret shots, tricks, glitches, and moves.
- All four pyramids below the bases, and the eight pyramids below the lower catwalks can be used to ricochet bullets off of to go through the catwalks/bases above them. This glitch may or may not have been fixed in BZFlag 3.0.
- Under the lower catwalks near the corner of the cube shaped boxes tanks can get stuck momentarily at the top when they jump, not really a useful trick, but cool to try. This trick also works on the ends of the walls that forms the X under the upper catwalks, although this is extremely rare to see.
- Tanks can get jammed and stuck between all teleporters and the outer walls. If you're versing someone who is between the teleporter and the wall and you can make them jump, there's a good chance you can get them jammed there. While there is still a chance of becoming unjammed and falling after becoming stuck, this is rare and the only definite way to get yourself out is to self-destruct.
Flag Passing Tricks
Passed flags will either go to the middle of the map, or to their respective bases, depending on how the map is set up. (In the GU League setup, the flags go to the middle of the map.)
In 3.0 versions of BZFlag, teleporters act like boxes, enabling flags to rest on top of them. In 2.0 versions of BZFlag, teleporters act like a pyramid, meaning flags go to safety zones instead of sitting on teleporters.
- Above Tele Pass: This is the easiest of the 3 teleporter passes. When holding the flag, jump above the upper level teleporter, make sure the flag is over the teleporter, and release. This is the easiest pass, but the most time consuming and can give an enemy more time to kill you.
- Below Tele Jump Pass: This pass is also easy, although not as easy as the Above Tele Pass. Simply drive under the top teleporter, jump, and when you hit the top of the teleporter, release the flag and it will go mid. With practice, this method can be a fast reliable way to pass the flag to the middle of the field.
- Below Tele Jumpless Pass: This is the hardest pass to use, and is rarely used in battle. This pass can be done in any teleporter, top or bottom, front or back, making it the most versatile. To use this pass you must be touching the edge of the teleporter. The pass has to be done while under the teleporter, but before you go through it, because the teleporter moves you slightly toward the center upon entering it. It cannot be done when entering the teleporter from an angle. When all of these requirements have been met, release the flag and it will fly to the center of the map. This pass is hard to use with consistency, and due to the extreme difficulty of using it, rarely used. If ever mastered though, it could be the quickest, safest, and most efficient way to pass the flag. This pass is also know as the "Tele Hax Pass". It received this nickname due to the difficulty of the pass, the unusual list of requirements in order to perform the pass, and the difficulty in discovering the pass. The name has nothing to do with any improved/modified clients.
- Base Pyramids Mid Pass: Simply make sure the flag is over the pyramid, but not under the box, and release it. It will travel mid.
- Base Pyramids Up Pass: Simply make sure the flag is over the pyramid and under the box, also make sure the box is not a base of a different color than the flag your passing, and release it. (i.e. this pass will mid a green flag under any base other than a green base or a regular box) This will not happen if you are under an enemy base, and it will have the same effect as dropping the flag on the base.
- Rear Base Pyramid Up Pass: Simply make sure the flag is over the pyramid and under the box located behind the base. Release the flag and it will land on top of the box. If you have the flag over the pyramid but under the base instead of the box, this pass will not work.
- Support Pyramid Mid Pass: Make sure the flag is located over one of the short upright pyramids and that your tank is above 5.0 units above the ground. Release the flag, and it will go to the middle of the map.
- Support Pyramid Up Pass: Make sure the flag is located over one of the short upright pyramids and that your tank is under 5.0 units above the ground. Release the flag, and it will travel up to the lower level of the catwalk.
- Middle Pyramid Mid Pass: This pass is close to totally useless (never rule any trick out in GU though). Jump onto the pyramid, turn sideways slowly, drive till you reach a corner, jump 45 degrees, land, and drive forward on that side of the pyramid. Continue doing so until the flag is over the pyramid, then release. The flag will simply fall down to the middle of the map.
- Shooting at pyramids at a certain angle can cause bullets to go up to different levels of play, so, for example, a tank on the bottom level can kill tanks on the upper and lower catwalks, and tanks jumping up to the base.
- The four pyramids below the x-pattern rails closest to the corner of the map can be used to kill people jumping from the box infront of the base to the base as well, although this is hard to time and hard to aim properly, you must be facing toward the outer edge of the map that the base you're shooting at is along, and jump and shoot at the upper section of the pyramid to do it.