Leagues United is the merger of all past leagues.
Leagues United offers challenging competition and includes some of the top BZFlag players.
Be sure to visit the official Leagues United forum and read the "sticky" threads at the top of the page. They contain a lot of important information.
Playing in Leagues United
Rules and Guidelines
The league has a high standard of behavior and sportsmanship. So check these rules before doing anything else. In addition to the rules enumerated here, any conduct which is clearly inappropriate or malicious toward the league or its players may subject the perpetrator to disciplinary action:
- Match disturbance, player harassment, language, cheat accusations in public (1 day -7 days ban)
- Using cheats on public servers or in other leagues (6-9 months)
- Using cheats in the league (1 year to life)
These are subject to change, so please always check the Official Rules page directly.
Matching in Leagues United
A good way to get started in the league is to play fun matches (typically abbreviated as 'fm'). These types of matches are very popular. Players do not have to be in a team to fun match and players from specific league teams don't have to play on the same color.
Fun matches can also have additional players join during play. Make sure that the current players don't mind before joining a match. Players should self-kill by shooting while facing a wall or self-destructing with the delete key. This ensures there is not an unfair advantage due to initially spawning on the team base. The phrase "sk please" is used quite often to request that someone self-kills.
Teams, Matching & Reporting
Once you're registered and want to get some action. Firstly you're going to need a team. You can join a team by visiting the teams page and hitting the "Join" button next to the team, that is, if the team is open to anyone. Most teams however, are closed and can only be joined by invitation sent from the team leader. Usually you will always find some teams that are interested in new and active players. If you want to contact the leader of a team or the team itself, use the "BZMail" option that can be found at the top or bottom of any Team/Player profile page. Don't be discouraged if the first couple of requests get turned down, most teams like to get to know the players before they accept them into their team. But it's easy to establish yourself within the Leagues community. You can get to know players best by playing fun matches, spending time on the various public servers and talking to others in Observer during matches. It's a learning by doing system.
Once you've found and joined a team you like you can immediately start matching! There are some rules you should take into account before doing so though.
Basic commands needed during official matches:
|/official or /fm||Start either an official match or a fun match, respectively.|
|/timelimit||Changes the duration of the match; durations may only be 15, 20, or 30 minutes. This must be set before the match starts. Default setting is 30 minutes.|
|/pause||Pause the match timer. Should not be abused and should only be used when necessary. (E.g. a player has to stop for a moment, etc.)|
|/resume||Resume the match timer and allow the match to continue.|
|/finish or /cancel||This will abruptly end the match at any given time. (Do not abuse! Ending a match with out any notice will most certainly lead to a ban.)|
|/mapchange||This changes the map that is currently on a server.(Currently supported maps are Babel, Ducati, DucatiMini, DuPi, HiX, Pillbox.) Typing "/mapchange Babel" Upon rejoining the server, one will find the Babel map loaded.|
- Do not start the match timer before all participating players are ready and make sure everyone has agreed on playing an official match.
- Make sure all players agree with opponents lag before starting the match. It is frowned upon to start a match and realize half way in that the lag is unplayable.
- Everyone participating should either able to finish the match or have a substitute available in case.
- Make sure the server is an official Leagues United match server.
- If a player goes [NR] (which means they are 'Not Responding', thus have lost their connection to the server somehow), pause the match and wait for a substitute or for the player to rejoin
- Make sure everyone is ready for a substitute before it happens to prevent major chaos in the match.
- If two more players want to join from the respective teams, make sure everyone is prepared and has said yes to the addition of players.
- Pick a server closest to the majority of players. If it is a half/half case, just agree on one.
If for some reason a match has to be canceled, use the /finish command to report the partial official match to the league website or use /cancel to not report an official match or cancel a fun match.
Official league servers
It is very important that you only play official matches on the official league servers.
Here is a list of the servers and their respective locations.
- meliodas.leaguesunited.org:5196 (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- meliodas.leaguesunited.org:5197 (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- meliodas.leaguesunited.org:5198 (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- allejo.leaguesunited.org:5196 (New Jersey, USA)
- allejo.leaguesunited.org:5197 (New Jersey, USA)
- allejo.leaguesunited.org:5198 (New Jersey, USA)
- BRL.ARPA.NET:5196 (California, USA)
- BRL.ARPA.NET:5197 (California, USA)
- BRL.ARPA.NET:5198 (California, USA)
The replay servers can be found on port 5195
If a match is not played on one of these servers, than it cannot be counted as official.
These are the current official maps used in Leagues United.
Every match, official or fun, is automatically recorded and saved to the respective replay server. Some servers have websites where the replay file, time, date and players are posted.
You can find help on how to get a replay start and running on the servers but here's a quick summary:
- Find the replay file you want by either using the above mentioned web-sites or by using
- /replay list -n (if possible, will display a list of recent replays in chronological order)
- /replay list *20160410* (will show you all replays played on April 10th, 2016)
- Once you've found your replay file
- /replay load #index number
- /replay play to view the replay chosen
Use /replay skip + or - <amount of seconds> to navigate within a replay Use /replay pause and /replay resume to pause and resume a replay
Along with the various official servers, there are quite a few public servers set up using either identical or similar settings to the league. Players usually meet up there to get warm and just shoot around before or after a match. Anyone can play there, regardless of being registered in the league or not. Some of these public servers are running the /mapchange feature, some are CTF and some are just FFA.
Here is a list of LU public servers and the maps currently run on them.
- allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5190 (DuPi by zaphod)
- allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5191 (Octocage by Bachiii and Saturos)
- allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5192 (All Hands On Deck by Trepan)
- allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5193 (Brigade by ahs3)
- allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5194 (LU Last Tank Standing)