V3.0 has some major problems that prevent it from being close to a release candidate. This page will list the remaining items that need to be addressed before an RC can be made.
RC Critical fixes.
- Dead-reckoning / lag-compensation testing / message loop / lag
- MsgPause fix
RC Critical Tasks
- Remove Buffered Network Manager, and just fix NetHandler's buffers.
- Linux Package review (new files in the right places )
- Mac installer review (check it in)
- Readme Updates
- Docs for V3 changes (-a missing, caps on server, lag comp, etc..)
- API review (spelling, consistency)
RC 'really nice' features
- Implement map features to define proper "flag pass" behavior in maps that want it
- Ask user to accept non bzflag.org images
- Ask user to join non bzflag.org servers (MsgJoinServer)
- Parity mesh checks to replace inside/outside points
RC 'really nice' Fixes/Tasks
- Webadmin template review ( for style )
Flag "pass" issues
The current method of using the flag respawn on drop to pass a team flag was never a defined 'feature' of the game. Many maps have been designed to turn this into a gameplay feature. In order to be able to maintain this type of gameplay a real feature has to be implemented to support it. Current development code has already "broken" teleporter passing by improving the definitions of the teleporter geometry and making no longer a "bad" place to put a flag. Similar enhancements are expected to be made in other parts of the world that would break other types of passing.
To properly support the desired behavior a set of map defined zones or faces needs to be implemented that can detect when specific flags are dropped on them and define a respawn target zone or area. This will allow maps to fully define pass zones in an arbitrary way for any flag. Defining the a real feature will prevent new code from changing the defined behavior in adverse ways.